For one of my reports, I needed to have a formula to fill up a cell with a specific word only if no match can’t be found and most importantly, if it finds a particular word in the description. For example, if the formula finds the name of a provider in the description, I needed to fill the cell that the configuration item type is an external system but first, the formula should check in another sheet if another information exists or not.
When I use the formula ?
It may happen that the information is missing in the main report so I need this formula to look for the correct information from another extracted report.
How to use the formula ?
The formula in this topic is with "," so depending of the operating system of your PC, the formula should have ";" instead of ",".
How are the formulas ?
=IFERROR(IF(VLOOKUP(B2,Sheet2!A:D,3,0)=0,"Internal System",VLOOKUP(B2,Sheet2!A:D,3,0)),IFERROR(IF(SEARCH("*provider*",C2,1),"Provider System"),"Internal System"))
As you can see:
- D2 is showing “provider system” because there is no ID and “provider” is in the description
- D3 is showing “test2” because the same ID exists in the sheet2 and the type of the sheet2 for this ID is “test2”
- D4 is showing “internal system” because there is no ID and not “provider” in the description
- D5 is showing “internal system” because the ID doesn’t exist in the sheet2
- IFERROR(IF(VLOOKUP(B2,Sheet2!A:D,3,0)=0,"Internal System",VLOOKUP(B2,Sheet2!A:D,3,0))
Asking the formula to match the ID in the sheet2 in column A, if match, look in the column C (3) the type and take this value, if no match, go next
- IFERROR(IF(SEARCH("*provider*",C2,1),"Provider System"),"Internal System")
Asking the formula to find in the description the word “provider”, if find, put “provider system”, if no find, put “internal system”